Base oil benchmarking for gear oils in electric vehicle drivetrains
The penetration of electric vehicle technology is a major trend resulting from global regulations intended to improve vehicle fuel efficiency and reduce emissions of greenhouse gases. OEMs, suppliers and researchers look for base oils that meet new e-fluid needs. So far few systematic studies benchmark crucial properties of e-fluid base oils.
This talk will compare base oil properties of Polyalphaolifins and new Polyglykol solutions covering the following topics:
- cooling performance evaluating thermal conductivity and heat transfer properties
- energy efficiency evaluating friction on a ball on disc tribometer
- electrical properties evaluating electric conductivities
- sustainability assessing ecotox profile and biodegradability
- thermal and thermal-oxidative stability.